1. Reacting Positive to a Negative Situation: When something horrible happens to you try really hard before overreacting and getting angry to take a deep breath and find the positive or "silver lining" in the situation. Every incident has one, you just have to find it.
2. When you lose, don’t lose the Lesson: Every situation has a lesson as well as a silver lining. Always try to learn something and you will become a better person for it!
3. Be Compassionate: In either situation I probably would have reacted different than the lady that hit me or the people that robbed me. However I can’t help but think of the hardships that drives people to steal or how old age effects your ability to judge a situation. Find some compassion for those that wrong you. It will make you feel great and it will probably annoy them quite a bit as well.
4. Control Anger: For some this is very difficult but once you learn to control your anger and react with kindness you will be surprised how it will only effect you and the ones you love around you in an extremely positive way.
5. Act With Kindness Everyday: It’s hard to not get caught up in the daily grind. Make a conscious effort to do something nice for someone everyday! Open a door for someone, look for opportunities to be of service to people with no reward and rewards will naturally find you.