Green News

Monday, August 21, 2017 8:32:09 AM

Barcelona terror suspect Younes Abouyaaqoub 'shot dead wearing suicide belt'Police in Catalonia have shot dead a suspect, believed to be Younes Abouyaaqoub, the probable driver of the van that killed 13 people on Barcelona’s Ramblas last week, as the manhunt zeroed in on him as the last remaining fugitive from the terrorist cell. According to a Spanish reports, he was shot by police while wearing a suspected explosives belt. The operation took place in Subirats, one hour's drive west of Barcelona. The public had been warned that he was dangerous and could be armed. As the manhunt was launched following the attack, Joaquin Form, the Catalan regional interior secretary, told local radio that “everything indicates” that Abouyaaqoub, a 22-year-old Moroccan and resident of the northern town of Ripoll, was the van driver. Early CCTV images emerged appearing to show Abouyaaqoub making his escape on foot through Barcelona’s La Boqueria market following Thursday afternoon’s attack.  Handout photos made available by Spanish Police showing Younes Abauyaaqoub Credit: Mossos handout Following the attack, security forces launched a major operation in the north of Catalonia and in particular along the French border. Mr Form said there was no evidence that Abouyaaqoub had left the region, but said authorities were coordinating with other governments as the fugitive was being sought “in all European countries”.  French media reported that the car used by five of the terrorists in a second attack in the seaside town of Cambrils was caught speeding near Paris just days earlier. It was "neither rented nor stolen", according to investigative sources cited by BFMTV, and was caught by a speed camera in the Essonne, south of Paris. CCTV images have emerged appearing to show Younes Abouyaaqoub making his escape on foot through Barcelona’s La Boqueria market Credit: El Pais The black Audi A3 was used to plough into residents and tourists at Cambrils late on Thursday night, killing one woman and injuring several others. At this stage, no "logistical" link or other "connection" has been established with France, sources close to the probe told Le Parisien. However, it came amid reports that the group had made a series of “suspicious” trips to France before the attacks. CCTV images have emerged appearing to show Younes Abouyaaqoub making his escape on foot through Barcelona’s La Boqueria market Credit: El Pais It has also emerged that the imam suspected of masterminding the Barcelona terrorist attacks often travelled to Belgium and was in the country in the three months before the Brussels bombings last year. Police are seeking to establish whether Abdelbaki Es Satty, who is thought to have radicalised the younger members of the cell that attacked Las Ramblas and Cambrils, was involved in the Isil bombings on Brussels airport and a Metro station that killed 32 people on March 22, 2016. The discovery raises the possibility of a link between the Spanish terrorist cell and the jihadists who carried out the Brussels attacks, and who were also behind the November 2015 atrocities in Paris. Civilians mourn at an impromptu memorial at Las Ramblas, Barcelona Credit:  REUTERS Swiss police also confirmed on Sunday that at least one of the attackers, whom they did not name, had travelled to Zurich at the end of last year. Moussa Oukabir, 17, Mohammed Hychami, 23 and Said Aallaa, 19, all believed to be of Moroccan origin, have been officially identified as among the attackers killed.  The other two have been named by Spanish press as Omar Hychami, Mohammed’s brother, and Houssaine Aouyaaquoub, who is presumed to be a family member of Younes Aouyaaquoub. Terror in Spain: Dozens killed and injured in Barcelona and Cambrils Catalan investigators are working on the theory that Es Satty and another cell member were killed in an blast in a house in the town of Alcanar on Wednesday night, which was first suspected to be a drugs lab but where they now believe the cell was preparing an attack with explosives.  However the two bodies found in the rubble have yet to be formally identified. Barcelona attack key articles 4:32PM Bomb robot deployed A robot to defuse the suspected explosives belt has been deployed to the scene of the shooting in Subirats. It is approaching the site and will assess it for officers.  17:23 TEDAX està utilitzant el robot per apropar-se i fer comprovacions / TEDAX està utilizando el robot para acercarse #Subirats— Mossos (@mossos) August 21, 2017 4:19PM Details emerge about shooting State broadcaster TVE report that the operation took place near a petrol station in a wooded area. Armed officers arrived on the scene after receiving a call from a member of the public. The regional Mossos d’Esquadra force tweeted at 4.39pm: “Police operation in progress in Subirats. Spread only official information.” It added in another tweet shortly afterwards: “We received an alert about a suspicious person in Subirats and activated a police response which is continuing.” 4:14PM Shooting confirmed Spanish police have confirmed that they shot dead a man. 17:05h La persona sospitosa de #Subirats porta adherit al cos el que sembla un cinturó d'explosius. L'individu ha estat abatut— Mossos (@mossos) August 21, 2017 3:55PM Police announce operation The Mossos d'Esquadra have announced an operation in the area but have not confirmed any other details. Spanish media claimed the police had received a tip off from a resident in Subirats and on attending the scene were fired upon. The man was wearing an explosive belt and cried "Allahu Akhbar," according to reports. There was no immediate word on whether the suspect was dead or alive.  16:39h Operatiu policial en marxa a Subirats. Difoneu només informació oficial— Mossos (@mossos) August 21, 2017 3:47PM Barcelona suspect caught by police Spanish police Mossos have stopped Younes Abouyaaqoub in Sant Sadurni, 60km from Barcelona, according to local media reports.


Monday, August 21, 2017 8:13:12 AM

North says U.S.-South Korean computer-simulated drills are step to nuclear warBy Christine Kim SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korean and U.S. forces began computer-simulated military exercises on Monday amid tension over North Korea's weapons programs, while a report Pyongyang has earned millions of dollars in exports is likely to raise doubts about the impact of sanctions. South Korean President Moon Jae-in said the joint drills, called Ulchi Freedom Guardian, were purely defensive and did not aim to increase tension on the peninsula, but North Korea denounced the exercises as preparation for war. "There is no intent at all to heighten military tension on the Korean peninsula as these drills are held annually and are of a defensive nature," Moon told cabinet ministers.


Monday, August 21, 2017 4:36:01 AM

Vehicle rams into bus shelters in Marseille kills oneA man who rammed a car into two bus shelters in southern France on Monday, killing at least one person, was known to police for minor crimes and had psychological issues, a police source said.


Monday, August 21, 2017 4:00:53 AM

A Total Solar Eclipse Will Make History as It Sweeps Across AmericaDay will suddenly turn into night in more than a dozen states


Sunday, August 20, 2017 11:10:48 PM

10 sailors missing in collision between US warship, tankerSINGAPORE (AP) — Ten U.S. sailors are missing after a collision between the USS John S. McCain and a tanker early Monday east of Singapore, the second accident involving a ship from the Navy's 7th Fleet in the Pacific in two months.


Sunday, August 20, 2017 5:30:53 PM

Police warn Barcelona attack fugitive 'dangerous, possibly armed'Spanish police warned Monday that the suspected driver of a van that mowed down pedestrians in Barcelona was dangerous and likely armed, as a manhunt for the Moroccan national widened across Europe. Police in Catalonia launched an appeal for information about the fugitive, Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22, believed to be the last remaining member of a 12-man cell. The other suspects have been killed by police or detained following last week's attacks in Barcelona and the seaside resort of Cambrils.


Sunday, August 20, 2017 12:42:19 PM

Spain attacks: The imam who 'ate up the brains' of youthsIn a little Spanish town by the Pyrenees mountains, a Moroccan imam has come under intense scrutiny, accused of creating the terror cell that allegedly launched the twin attacks in Spain. The blast likely changed the plans of the attackers, who instead used vehicles to smash into pedestrians on Barcelona's busy Las Ramblas boulevard and in the seaside resort town of Cambrils. "On Tuesday morning, he left saying he was going on vacation to Morocco," said fruit-seller Nordeen El Haji, 45, who four months ago moved into the apartment that Satty occupied in Ripoll.


Sunday, August 20, 2017 11:30:30 AM

'They wear the cap': Ex-GOP congressman rips members who are silent on KKKIn the wake of Trump’s response to the violence in Charlottesville, former Rep. J.C. Wattsis criticizing the reluctance of some Republicans to confront the president.


Sunday, August 20, 2017 11:10:10 AM

South Africa grants Grace Mugabe diplomatic immunity after she allegedly attacked young modelGrace Mugabe, the first lady of Zimbabwe, returned home last night from South Africa after being granted diplomatic immunity after being accused of assaulting a model with an extension cable in a Johannesburg hotel. However last night lawyers announced they would launch a legal challenge this week to the immunity which allowed Mr Mugabe to escape facing any charges of assault. The immunity, granted after she arrived in South Africa more then a week ago on private business was a political decision not a legal one said Lorna Ferguson, a South African lawyer. “It was irrational and in contravention of South African laws for her to be granted immunity in the face of what were serious criminal charges laid against her for alleged assault a week ago. Gabriella Engels is seen with an injury to her forehead  Credit: Debbie Engels via AP "I consulted the law and with a veteran South Africa foreign affairs expert who said that immunity cannot be granted retrospectively.” Mrs Mugabe is accused of assaulting and injuring Gabriella Engels, a 20-year-old model who was visiting Mrs Mugabe’s two sons, Robert Jnr and Chatunga in a top Johannesburg hotel a week ago. Ms Engels laid charges against Mrs Mugabe after she had her face stitched up in hospital.  Mrs Mugabe avoided going to court and was rescued when her husband, President Robert Mugabe, arrived in South Africa to attend a regional conference and arranged immunity for his wife which was officially announced on Saturday. Grace Mugabe, shown here in October 2014, returned home from South Africa Credit: JEKESAI NJIKIZANA/AFP/Getty Images Ms Engels case has been taken up by a non Governmental organisation Afriforum which says it will go to court for the injured woman re the immunity, and will also charge Mrs Mugabe in both criminal and civil cases. President Robert Mugabe and his wife Grace, sneaked out of South Africa via South Africa’s main military airport near the capital Pretoria, in the very early hours of Sunday morning. Alex Magisa, a senior Zimbabwean and legal academic at the University of Kent, said one of the tragedies of the Grace Mugabe assault case in South Africa is that few people in Zimbabwe know about it.  No mention of the case has been made on the only TV station and all radio stations and daily newspapers it controls. "Much of the 67 percent of people who live in rural areas have to rely on traditional sources (of information) which simply refused to cover the story. MUGABE TIMELINE "Few incidents illustrate the totalitarian face of the Zimbabwean regime as this current case involving Grace Mugabe’s embarrassing moment in South Africa where she allegedly beat up a young woman whom she found in the company of her two sons,” he said. Mrs Mugabe and various web sites and twitter feeds which support her in Zimbabwe say the first lady was attacked by Ms Engels. Ahead of Mrs Mugabe’s return home, South Africa and Zimbabwe seized and grounded passenger aircraft in Johannesburg and Harare. Only after diplomatic immunity for Mrs Mugabe was gazetted did South Africa’s civil aviation authority allow the Air Zimbabwe Boeing 767 it had grounded early Saturday, to take off after midnight on Sunday. Harare had retaliated by seizing a South African Airways aircraft at the Harare International Airport on Saturday and refused to clear it for take-off until after the Mugabe’s were on their way back to Harare. Flights between the two countries have now resumed.


Sunday, August 20, 2017 10:46:29 AM

Elderly Swiss couple found murdered in Kenya's Mombasa cityBy Joseph Akwiri MOMBASA (Reuters) - The bodies of an elderly Swiss couple were found dumped by a country road in Kenya's coastal city of Mombasa with severe injuries on Sunday, police said, and the caretaker of a property where they had been due to stay was being sought for questioning. Regional police chief Larry Kiyeng identified them by name and said they had flown into Kenya on Saturday and had planned to stay at a private residence in Nyali, an upmarket estate in Mombasa. The couple, who appeared to be between 60 and 70 years old, were found wrapped in a blanket near a local nightclub on the outskirts of Mombasa, area police chief Christopher Rotich said.  "They have severe injuries.


Page 1 of 2 1 2 > >>
Site Map | Printable View | | HTML 5 | CSS
Copyright © 2017 , SpiritualAge.org. All rights reserved.
All logos and trademarks belong to respective owners